Inspirations:

  • It is said that good things come to those who wait. I believe that good things come to those who work. - Wilt Chamberlain
  • A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit. - Richard Bach
  • You don't find time to write. You make time. It's my job. - Nora Roberts
  • Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most. - Buddha
  • Luck is when an opportunity comes along and you're prepared for it. - Denzel Washington
  • I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying. - Michael Jordan

Monday, November 22, 2010

Runaway Muse

My muse is on the lam. If you should happen to stumble upon her, please pack her up and ship her home. I will happily pay all necessary expenses!

An author recently told me, "The second book will be the hardest you'll ever write."

I hadn't been worried about book 2 until that moment.

Then, after I finished the final copy edits for book 1, I asked my editor, "What happens next?" She replied, "...it’s all about focusing on ensuring Kyle and Victoria’s story (book 2) is a suitably amazing follow-up!"

Yikes. No pressure there.

So here I am, under deadline, unable to get chapter 1 into the computer in any form I'm happy with. I know people say....just write down anything and move on. But I can't. I need to wrap my head around chapter 1 before I can move on. It's killing me.

I'm sure the craziness of life has something to do with my difficulties. I'm hosting Thanksgiving for 24 in 3 days, followed by Chanukah for my family and a special dinner for over 100 people the following week.

Is it silly to even try to write this time of year? Deadlines don't care about the holiday season mayhem. My life is in chaos. Somethings got to give. I'm afraid it's going to be blogging.

I'll be back in early December when I'll be joining the medical romance team for a blog party welcoming three new medical romance authors (one of whom is ME!) I'll post the information as soon as I have it. Hopefully you'll have time to stop by.

Until then, wishing you all stress-free days in which you accomplish everything on your to-do lists!

12 comments:

  1. Invite your muse for Thanksgiving; perhaps she's hungry and will reveal herself after she tastes your delicious cuisine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and you share a few glasses of wine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh party eh! this whole week long dinner might be the ticket something is bound to happen that will jumpstart book 2 for you. If all else fails turn to the experts(the pubbed veterans) they have all been there b4

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sure is a lot of meal-planning and partying! No wonder the characters have gotten lost in the sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take a few deep breaths and as you fall to sleep, start thinking about the story. If you're lucky, you'll wake up with some thoughts on Chapter 1. The real problem is life. I'll send some creative thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think planned vacations from anything - diets, work, writing, even husbands - are healthy. I come back ready to go again - especially when it comes to writing and husbands.

    So enjoy the holidays! I'll look forward to seeing you here on the blog when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with hunting down your muse. Have a happy Thanksgiving. Looking forward to the group blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't help myself! Thanks so much to all of you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is hard to write during the holidays. I used the Golden Heart as my deadline to force me to write in November. This year I had other deadlines, but now I am just in limbo land. I have to give myself a new goal. But the Thanksgiving prep and having tons of family underfoot is getting in the way of my ability to focus. My solution? Let the muse play for a bit, fool around with the next story, but not commit to major writing--then come Monday I will be able to focus more.

    Can't wait to see you on the group blog!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by, Christine! Happy Thanksgiving to you too....I'M SOOOO HAPPY! MY DAUGHTER CAME HOME FROM COLLEGE TO SURPRISE ME FOR THANKSGIVING!!!! AND I PROCEEDED TO CRY LIKE A BABY!!! I'M SOOOO HAPPY!!!!! I just had to share. Now back to the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes I think just the saying that the second book is the hardest is enough to give you a block :( I hope your muse comes home soon! Happy Thanksgiving I'm glad DD made the trip home for you!

    ReplyDelete