While at the RWA (Romance Writers of America) National Conference, I attended a wonderful workshop given by author Susan Elizabeth Phillips. (Love her!!! Even more since meeting her in person!)
Her six magic words that lead to a bestseller: KEEP THE READER IN THE STORY.
What makes a bestseller? A compelling book written in a voice that captivates the reader.
Susan Elizabeth Phillips emphasized: Do not strive to write the perfect book, strive to write a compelling book.
What elements can make a book a bestseller?
* Riveting plot
* Care so much about characters we don't want to part from them
* Author takes us into an unfamiliar world
* Author's voice
Four tips to keeping a reader in the story:
1) Master good craft
2) Create dazzling characters
3) Write a fast moving plot
4) Write to your strengths not the market
One of her million dollar tips: Create chapter breaks that keep the reader in the story. End each chapter with a hook.
Hope this helps!
- It is said that good things come to those who wait. I believe that good things come to those who work. - Wilt Chamberlain
- A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit. - Richard Bach
- You don't find time to write. You make time. It's my job. - Nora Roberts
- Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most. - Buddha
- Luck is when an opportunity comes along and you're prepared for it. - Denzel Washington
- I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying. - Michael Jordan