Today I went to my first official meeting of the Hudson Valley Chapter of RWA (Romance Writers of America). I joined back in September (after a wonderful luncheon), and it took me five months to get up the nerve to attend. Now, after spending time with this friendly and welcoming group, I could kick myself for waiting.
At the end of the meeting writers/authors (unpublished/published) were given a chance to read a few pages of their work in progress. I read the first five pages of my new military story. (And let me tell you, writing a juicy love scene is much easier than reading one out loud when there are other people in the room!) Well, I'm happy to say, no one walked out or called me depraved, which I think is positive. In fact, my fellow members praised my writing, and offered suggestions on how to make the story stronger.
Now, with renewed motivation, I am ready to get back to work. In case any of you stop by, I'm looking forward to seeing you again next month! Happy writing!
- It is said that good things come to those who wait. I believe that good things come to those who work. - Wilt Chamberlain
- A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit. - Richard Bach
- You don't find time to write. You make time. It's my job. - Nora Roberts
- Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most. - Buddha
- Luck is when an opportunity comes along and you're prepared for it. - Denzel Washington
- I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying. - Michael Jordan